Monologue Slam Registrations Will Be Available APRIL 1ST:
SLOTS ARE LIMITED
Thank you so much for your interest in competing in the monologue slam! We are glad to announce that we are seeking eager performers for the competition! If you would like to participate for our Monologue Slam, please be on the lookout for our announcement by following our instagram or facebook @hanfordMTC
Each category will have up to 20 contestants---20 poets, 20 actors---all trying to battle for a slot to the grand finale. There, both actors and poets alike will compete for a chance to win cash prizes:
We encourage you to attend the Monologue Slam and support our competitors! Audience members have a sway in who is able to move onto the finals, so bring your friends and family to help you move on to the finals. Cheer for your favorite performance and enjoy a great time.
JUNE 15: POETS
JUNE 22: ACTORS
JUNE 29: GRAND FINALE - ACTORS VS POETS
All competition dates will start at 4PM. Contestants are expected to be at the venue location an hour before the performance time. Read below for the rules of the competition.
MONOLOGUE SLAM PERFORMANCE RULES
1. Participants MUST BE 13+ YEARS to compete.
Those younger than 18 years old must have permission from a parental/guardian and fill out the appropriate form that will be emailed upon registration
2. Participants may perform a monologue from a published play or any entertainment media (e.g. Theatre, TV, Film, New Media). If a participant chooses, he/she may also perform their own original material.
3. Only monologues that are contemporary in nature are allowed (i.e. anything after the 1930s) to be performed.
4. The timing for each performance will begin the moment the actor speaks his/her/their first word.
5. For the Grand Slam, performers will be given a silent cue at the 2 minute mark. At the 2m and 45s mark there will be a "bell chime". Performers will have 15s to wrap up their monologue. Any monologue that goes over 3 minutes will be disqualified.
6. Participants are allowed to be in costume for their performance.
7. Participants are allowed one chair and/or one hand prop. No lights, sounds or multimedia will be allowed during the competition. The stage should not need to be cleaned when your monologue is over.
8. For safety reasons, the following hand props are NOT ALLOWED:
- Breakable glass
- Razor blades
- Liquid (other than water)
- Open flames
- Shooting prop guns or knives
9. Call time on all show dates will be AN HOUR BEFORE SHOW TIME. Participants are required to show up on time for briefing. If a participant is 5 mins late to call time, the participant will be disqualified. There will be no refund of registration fees in this event.
10. The sequence of the performance line-up will be decided by the organizer and the organizer’s decision is final.
11. Bring your friends and family to cheer you on. Audience participation can influence judges.
12. The decisions by judging panel is final.
Disclaimer: Hanford Multicultural Theatrical Company is not responsible for any injury, illness, death, loss (for example loss of enjoyment), damage, expense, cost or other sum or claim of any description whatsoever. It is the sole responsibility of the participants and/or audience members for any belongings they may bring with them.